Keywords : POST BURN
Basrah Journal of Surgery,
2011, Volume 17, Issue 1, Pages 0-0
Ari Raheem Qader*& Suzan Fadil Jabber@
*Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Sulaimania.
@Diploma in plastic surgery, Department of Surgery, Sulaimania Plastic and Burn surgery Hospital.
*Email:firstname.lastname@example.org, Mobile no.-009647701526316
Tissue expansion represents one of the major advances in surgery and is particularly
applicable to burn reconstruction. The technique provides tissue of similar texture and color to
the defect to be covered and has the added advantage of minimal donor site morbidity.
This study aimed to assess the results & complications in the correction of post burn scalp
alopecia using a tissue expansion, prevention of implant extrusion, lower the infection rate in
tissue expansion and expander selection.
Forty patients with scalp burn alopecia treated with tissue expansion of the scalp, were
included in this prospective study in Sulaimania hospital of burn and reconstructive surgery from
February 2002 to September 2009 with age groups ranging from (4-30) years with an average
of 15.5 years. Twenty three patients were females.
The time period between burn injury and reconstruction ranged between (4-25) years, their
scalp defects ranging between (5x10cm -13x25cm). We were able to completely reconstruct
77.5% of the total patients with single or multiple sessions of expansions. The remaining 22.5%
patients have benefited from reduction in the percentage of alopecia and recreation of anterior
hair line to camouflage their defects. Major complications occurred in 6 cases(15%), in which
the expansion process interrupted with removal of the expander.
In conclusion, It is not always possible to measure the absolute efficacy of a surgical technique
or determine a general guideline its indication of the tissue expansion procedure although
afflicted with a broad range of possible complications, the tissue expansion procedure remains a
valuable and reliable technique for the reconstruction of post burn alopecia of the scalp.