Author : Muhammed Al-Abbasy, Ahmed
EFFICACY OF DIODE LASER TRANSCANALICULAR DACRYOCYSTORHINOSTOMY FOR THE TREATMENT OF ACQUIRED NASOLACRIMAL DUCT OBSTRUCTION
Basrah Journal of Surgery,
2011, Volume 17, Issue 2, Pages 64-68
This study designed to determine the surgical outcome of transcanalicular dacryocystorhinostomy for the treatment of blocked lacrimal pathway. This is a prospective study of 36 patients admitted in Basrah General Hospital from March 2008 to May 2010. The age of the patients was in range from 6 to 60yrs. Forty five (31.25%) were males and 99(68.75%) were females. All of these cases were unilateral. Thirty three (93.05%) of the total patients were operated general local anesthesia and the rest 3 (6.94%) were under local anesthesia. The overall success rate was 62.5% in non-intubated patients and 93.75% with intubation. It is concluded that Diode Laser Transcanalicular dacryocystorhinostomy is still a new surgical procedure for the treatment of nasolacrimal duct obstruction and need further refinement of the surgical procedure and studies for evaluation of effectiveness and success.